Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

The Breast Cancer Site
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
I Am Thankful For…Gratitude (and the Walking Entry)
I don’t want to complain, just two days before Thanksgiving. Really, I’m glad my son is thankful for anything at all and that he has a teacher who remembers to help her students focus on being thankful at this time of year.

But…

Jake brought home a turkey that he colored at school yesterday. The turkey had lines for writing, and the top of the page said “I am thankful for…” Well, Jake finished the sentence with “JAKE,” so I think he thought that was the line for his name. But then again, maybe he did mean he’s thankful for himself because he went on to write the following things he’s thankful for…(spelling is his)

“myslf and dada / Annabel and Wesley.”

Wesley is a friend in his class who just happened to have a birthday party Friday, so I suspect the party and favors are the reason Wesley made the list. Or maybe he and Wesley made a deal, “I’ll write your name if you write mine.”

The thing is…not to complain but…um…

Hello? Who was in labor 15 hours and awake nonstop for the first nine months of his life?? Was Wesley there???

It’s okay, I suppose I can take comfort in the fact that I’ve raised a child who is grateful for himself and the people around him.

Oh, and one more thing about this. We spell Annie’s name “Annabelle.” We always call her “Annie.” I think he was referring to the Annabel in his class when he wrote that name. Oh well, at least he remembered Ike…

It’s been awhile since I’ve written because I’ve just had too much to say. The most important thing I haven’t yet said is this: Annie’s walking!! She took her first multiple steps Saturday, November 11, and has been adding a few steps ever since. Yesterday she walked from our couch to the closet door (probably 15 steps for a baby), where she promptly banged into the door and fell down. I had no idea I was supposed to pad the walls when I started babyproofing…

That’s all for now, but I promise those who’ve been asking that I’ll write again soon. :)


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here you are! I was beginning to think you were leaving that Walmart post up there forever to keep reminding me that I shouldn't shop there ;)

On a serious note, doesn't it just suck that our kids often forget to be thankful for us?? Emi still insists that Terry is her "best friend" when in all reality they just fight and drive each other crazy constantly. And who's there to make him stop bugging her....me! Oh well. I am also mad that I don't get to see Annie walking :( Maybe we'll get to come see everybody at Christmas, then she'll be a pro at walking before she shows me.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two qualities above many others are important to develop in children. They are easily recognized by the adults with whom your child will interact and the inculcating of these qualities in your child from an early age will garner them much appreciation, a lifetime of friends, and improve their lives immensely. (I am speaking broadly here about all children, not just Jake and Annie.) I have worked with children for over a decade and scarcely see a one who retains much evidence of these qualities into adolescence and that is such a pity. It is a rare parent who takes the time to promote the development of these two important -- Oops. There's the phone, gotta go.

Blogger Moms2bugs said...

Wow Anonymous that is pretty deep! LOL
I was just going to say that atleas people made it on his list. Griffin's class has a big list out side his door with what every kid is thankful for and by his name it says "Christmas". He asked me what it said and I said "Christmas" and he goes "grrrr it is supposed to say Christmas Present's" LOL I asked Klaire what she was thankful for or happy that she has. And she had said "My Paci"! LOL

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a wrong number. Okay, so back to the two important qualities and no more joking around. Gratitude and humility. That's it. Simple enough to say, but really difficult to practice, unless as a child you are fortunate enough to have someone coach you into the practice of both. Gratitude comes out of daily prayer and blessings at meals. That's doable. Humility is a little harder to cultivate when society seems to reward those who strive to get attention at the expense of other people. Still, nothing is so impressive in a human as someone with the confidence to know they don't have to toot their own horn to be loveable. If you can rear a child with true humility, to be someone who loves himself/herself, congratulations. If you can tell the rest of us how to do it, write the book! -- Good luck to all.

Post a Comment

<< Home