Jake graduated from Safety Town this morning. You know, this was only a two-week camp. For two hours a day. No big, as Kim Possible might say. He dressed for his graduation day in an old hand-me-down shark t-shirt and his "Bum" shorts (which he calls "Boom"). Classy.
So, why is it that I teared up when they started playing "Pomp & Circumstance" as my child walked in??
I'll tell you why. Because someday that'll be my son graduating from high school. That little boy (the littlest in his group, actually) will someday be 17, walking across a stage to get his diploma. He'll be in a cap and gown, and most likely he'll have the same goofy "I'm-an-introvert-who-doesn't-want-to-be-up-here" expression. Hopefully, like this morning, he'll search the crowd looking for his mom. And just like today, hopefully I'll be able to keep back tears at least while he looks at me.
Of course, I'm hoping that when he graduates from high school, he's standing next to a pretty girl who wants to hold his hand (just like this morning with Lexi). :)
I'm reading too much into a Safety Town graduation, of course. I think a lot of moms did, though. I mean, really. "Pomp & Circumstance" is like Pavlov's bell for me. Play it, I cry.
A plug for Safety Town now. Jake LOVED this camp more than anything else he's done all summer. He's had a great time at all of his camps, but something about Safety Town really made him feel good. Maybe it was befriending police officers. Or the middle and high school instructors. Whatever made it special really made it work. He knows the Safety Town song about crossing the street and the chant about guns (Stop! Don't touch! Leave the area! Tell an adult!). He likes to point out strangers in stores (okay, I'm hoping that will stop). He talks about traffic lights and seatbelts every time we get in the car.
It's a wonderful program that he will definitely repeat next year. I highly recommend it to anyone with 5 and 6-year-old children. There are Safety Towns nationwide, although I can't find a link to any central group that organizes all of them. The best thing to do (I'm talking to you, Brandee) is to google "Safety Town" with your city name and state to see if there's something local.
One graduation down. Next I'll have to make it through Kindergarten graduation next spring...
So, why is it that I teared up when they started playing "Pomp & Circumstance" as my child walked in??
I'll tell you why. Because someday that'll be my son graduating from high school. That little boy (the littlest in his group, actually) will someday be 17, walking across a stage to get his diploma. He'll be in a cap and gown, and most likely he'll have the same goofy "I'm-an-introvert-who-doesn't-want-to-be-up-here" expression. Hopefully, like this morning, he'll search the crowd looking for his mom. And just like today, hopefully I'll be able to keep back tears at least while he looks at me.
Of course, I'm hoping that when he graduates from high school, he's standing next to a pretty girl who wants to hold his hand (just like this morning with Lexi). :)
I'm reading too much into a Safety Town graduation, of course. I think a lot of moms did, though. I mean, really. "Pomp & Circumstance" is like Pavlov's bell for me. Play it, I cry.
A plug for Safety Town now. Jake LOVED this camp more than anything else he's done all summer. He's had a great time at all of his camps, but something about Safety Town really made him feel good. Maybe it was befriending police officers. Or the middle and high school instructors. Whatever made it special really made it work. He knows the Safety Town song about crossing the street and the chant about guns (Stop! Don't touch! Leave the area! Tell an adult!). He likes to point out strangers in stores (okay, I'm hoping that will stop). He talks about traffic lights and seatbelts every time we get in the car.
It's a wonderful program that he will definitely repeat next year. I highly recommend it to anyone with 5 and 6-year-old children. There are Safety Towns nationwide, although I can't find a link to any central group that organizes all of them. The best thing to do (I'm talking to you, Brandee) is to google "Safety Town" with your city name and state to see if there's something local.
One graduation down. Next I'll have to make it through Kindergarten graduation next spring...
3 Comments:
Oh, that was too funny. I was reading that thinking, "ooh, I wanna do Safety Town!" See, you really do still have feelings for me ;-)
Oh, and I'm the same way about the tearing up thing. Only I do everytime my child graces ANY stage for ANY reason. It was hell when Sweet Pea had recitals for 4 days in a row!
H loved Safety Town too. She just hated that they had "homework". If coloring is to much work...she is in so much trouble when she gets into H.S.!!!
I loved it when Jake wouldn't come down from the McD's playplace because there were strangers (other kids)! LOL I thought that was so cute. He better make friends w/everyone from school or you might be getting a lot of phone calls!! LOL
Oh how sweet! That is one thing I will miss about GV not going back to his preschool this year. Not getting to graduate from preschool to big school. Oh and I think I may have ran into some of those saftey town kids yesterday . I was at chick fil a and about 6 kids came in with a lady and one kid came up behind me in line. She said I will just get behind this lady and I turned around and said oh I have already ordered so you can step up. She just looked at me like I was dumb and then the lady with her called her name and looked at her like she was in trouble for talking to me. ANd then the littlest of them all yelled out "You just talked to a stranger!" "Your not supposed to talk to strangers!" LOL
Post a Comment
<< Home