...who would win? I'm not trying to blaspheme first thing in the morning, really. Just a couple of observations about my son and his relationship to God. Jake has always been the one in our family to remind us to pray at the dinner table, to remind me to say a prayer at bedtime, to ask questions about "God's House" (what we call heaven), and every now and then to remind me that "We should go to church again soon." It's a little creepy sometimes, honestly. Like the time he came home from Sunday School at a church we'd been visiting to say, "Mommy. You can't hide from God." (Ok, the italics are mine. Maybe he didn't really mean me per se. But it was creepy nonetheless.)
But now that he's in school, Jake seems to have changed his feelings toward God a bit (resentment, maybe?). He seems to view God as a family member, someone to be encouraged...or put in His place. This morning on the way to school, Jake pointed out, "God is trying to make it rain really hard. You know, he's doing a good job."
A little encouragement from a believer I suppose. But then when you couple that with his insistence last week, "Mommy, I am smarter than God" (We argued over this one. Maybe I should just let it go, but I hate the idea of my four-year-old getting struck by lightning on the playground.), it changes the perspective a bit. Maybe these talks about Annabelle living with God until she came to live in my tummy have led him to believe that God is also a younger sibling?
Ok, maybe it's time for us to go to church again.
On a different note, a friend called this morning to see what I thought of her boyfriend, whom I met a couple of weeks ago. Let me assure you, in case I was too tired when we talked to make it clear, any man who can come in and instantly be Jake's best friend is a good guy in my book. :)
But now that he's in school, Jake seems to have changed his feelings toward God a bit (resentment, maybe?). He seems to view God as a family member, someone to be encouraged...or put in His place. This morning on the way to school, Jake pointed out, "God is trying to make it rain really hard. You know, he's doing a good job."
A little encouragement from a believer I suppose. But then when you couple that with his insistence last week, "Mommy, I am smarter than God" (We argued over this one. Maybe I should just let it go, but I hate the idea of my four-year-old getting struck by lightning on the playground.), it changes the perspective a bit. Maybe these talks about Annabelle living with God until she came to live in my tummy have led him to believe that God is also a younger sibling?
Ok, maybe it's time for us to go to church again.
On a different note, a friend called this morning to see what I thought of her boyfriend, whom I met a couple of weeks ago. Let me assure you, in case I was too tired when we talked to make it clear, any man who can come in and instantly be Jake's best friend is a good guy in my book. :)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home