Today is the last Friday of Jake's second grade career. Guilford County is pretty much the last school to be getting out for summer in all of the whole world. I agree with the school board's decision not to cut Spring Break short (to make up for snow days), but right about now...it might be nice to just be done.
Anyway, so we're almost there. One more day on Monday, then we're home free. Then the FUN must begin.
I'll admit I'm feeling a bit more pressure this year than I have over the past summers. First of all, while I have a wonderfully awesome boss (who, yes, might possibly read this) who is allowing me to have a great summer schedule at work, the kids and I will still be fitting a whole week's worth of fun into 5 days instead of 7 (well, 5 days minus the 4 hours I work from home on those days). That's 3 weekdays, then weekends when we all know everyone else will be trying to fit in their own fun.
Even more than that, there's the second pressure. At Jake's birthday celebration this year in his class, his teacher jokingly told him, "We're celebrating early since you won't be in school on your birthday. That means you get to do something fun every day between now and your birthday!"
My gulp was audible. Or maybe that was Ike's gulp. Something fun every day for almost two months?? Do almost-8-year-olds get that kind of joke??
I emailed her later to tell her thanks, I'd be passing along a similar message to her daughter. This is when the real pressure came in: Mrs. C responded with, "You just seem like such a fun family with all your adventures that I didn't think that would be a problem."
Um. Huh? What in the world is Jake telling them at school? Our adventures? Strawberry picking? The library? Oh, and who could forget the co-ed naked toddler/young child bungee jumping*??
So you understand my pressure this summer, right? No sitting on the couch eating bonbons for us. We're a FUN family. Woohoo.
Speaking of fun, soon I'll be posting pictures from Annie's last Tumblebees class, from Jake's moving up ceremony at school and from our adventures so far with Flat Jake (similar to Flat Stanley). Did I say "adventures?" Whoa, we really are fun. :)
Coming soon...What Not To Wear: The Quigley Kid Episode
*It wasn't bungee jumping, actually. It was skydiving.
Anyway, so we're almost there. One more day on Monday, then we're home free. Then the FUN must begin.
I'll admit I'm feeling a bit more pressure this year than I have over the past summers. First of all, while I have a wonderfully awesome boss (who, yes, might possibly read this) who is allowing me to have a great summer schedule at work, the kids and I will still be fitting a whole week's worth of fun into 5 days instead of 7 (well, 5 days minus the 4 hours I work from home on those days). That's 3 weekdays, then weekends when we all know everyone else will be trying to fit in their own fun.
Even more than that, there's the second pressure. At Jake's birthday celebration this year in his class, his teacher jokingly told him, "We're celebrating early since you won't be in school on your birthday. That means you get to do something fun every day between now and your birthday!"
My gulp was audible. Or maybe that was Ike's gulp. Something fun every day for almost two months?? Do almost-8-year-olds get that kind of joke??
I emailed her later to tell her thanks, I'd be passing along a similar message to her daughter. This is when the real pressure came in: Mrs. C responded with, "You just seem like such a fun family with all your adventures that I didn't think that would be a problem."
Um. Huh? What in the world is Jake telling them at school? Our adventures? Strawberry picking? The library? Oh, and who could forget the co-ed naked toddler/young child bungee jumping*??
So you understand my pressure this summer, right? No sitting on the couch eating bonbons for us. We're a FUN family. Woohoo.
Speaking of fun, soon I'll be posting pictures from Annie's last Tumblebees class, from Jake's moving up ceremony at school and from our adventures so far with Flat Jake (similar to Flat Stanley). Did I say "adventures?" Whoa, we really are fun. :)
Coming soon...What Not To Wear: The Quigley Kid Episode
*It wasn't bungee jumping, actually. It was skydiving.
1 Comments:
LOL . . . we're definitely putting you on the list for Logan's b-day. We need some fun. :) Seriously, I'm mom to a kid who told the whole world (okay, just his class at school and their parents) that he wants to be Robinhood when he grows up so he can "take care of the world." Where do they get this stuff? The other kids wanted to be basketball players and police officers and cooks and race car drivers, but my kid . . . *sigh*
Post a Comment
<< Home