I'll admit it. I love it when Annie is scared. I mean, I don't make her watch Nightmare On Elm Street or take her to haunted houses or anything. I don't do psychologically damaging things like leave her on a street corner and drive away...just to see what she'll do. (Wow, but it scares me a little that I thought of that!)
But these days when she's going through a bit of separation anxiety and someone else wants to hold her, she clings to me like she's being kidnapped. Her chubby arms wrap around my neck and her little fingers grasp my skin like I'm her life preserver.
Yesterday Jake received a remote control truck from a friend for his birthday. This morning Annie found it abandoned (temporarily) in the office/playroom/don't-go-in-there-you'll-never-make-it-out room and decided to push the buttons. When the truck started "revving" and vibrating, Annie backed away quickly and clambered into my lap. She squeezed my rib cage and laid her sweet head on my chest. She sat there for a few minutes, one pointer finger at her lips (in typical Annie pose), as if to say, "All is right with the world, I have Mommy to protect me."
And that, my friends, is one of the many reasons I love having children.
But these days when she's going through a bit of separation anxiety and someone else wants to hold her, she clings to me like she's being kidnapped. Her chubby arms wrap around my neck and her little fingers grasp my skin like I'm her life preserver.
Yesterday Jake received a remote control truck from a friend for his birthday. This morning Annie found it abandoned (temporarily) in the office/playroom/don't-go-in-there-you'll-never-make-it-out room and decided to push the buttons. When the truck started "revving" and vibrating, Annie backed away quickly and clambered into my lap. She squeezed my rib cage and laid her sweet head on my chest. She sat there for a few minutes, one pointer finger at her lips (in typical Annie pose), as if to say, "All is right with the world, I have Mommy to protect me."
And that, my friends, is one of the many reasons I love having children.
2 Comments:
I have to admit, I've been the same way. There's just something about being the person who someone else thinks can fix anything that makes your heart melt!
I miss that. Mine dont crawl in my lap very often anymore. And if they are they are usually kicking or elbowing me in the ribs!
Post a Comment
<< Home