
It was Arthur day and the Read-A-Palooza celebration today at the Greensboro Children's Museum. Jake and I had a "double date" with our friends Nicholas and (his mom) Vita. This was the first time Jake and I had a chance to go out sans baby since Annie was born.
And what a great time! My scalp and neck are super-sunburned (fortunately, Jake didn't burn), but it was worth it for the fun. We went down the "super slide" twice (I'm too old to do that), rode on the free train twice (which circled the street twice...no wonder it was free), played in the museum, did a cupcake walk, and drank lots of Sprite. Jake and Nicholas rode on the swings, played a tee-ball game (Jake was really good--he's a lefty. When the volunteer in charge of the ride tried to "correct" his stance, he looked at her like she was crazy and went back to standing to bat left-handed.), went through a bouncy-maze thing... It was a full and exhausting day. You know, the kind where you fall asleep in the car and pee on yourself from exhaustion. Actually, neither of us did that, but I was worried...
The important thing is not what we did, it's that we did it together. Hokey, I know, but those of you with two children know what I mean. I have missed my Jake time so much. When Annie naps, every now and then he and I get to spend time together. But it's not the same as having a few hours without me having to say, "Hold on while I feed/check on/change the baby." Life changes for everyone when there's a new family member, of course. But Jake and I spent four and a half years home alone during the days. It's been difficult to not have that time at all.
He'll get a date with Ike Thursday night when they go to a member preview of an exhibit at the Science Center. They're both excited about checking out the bugs...
*Note: The title of this post is from the Arthur theme song on PBS. I want to point it out in case you were just thinking I'm a dork.
(Maybe the fact that I pointed it out does make me a dork.)
2 Comments:
Now that sounds like lots of fun! We don't do near enough with the girls each on their own. Then again, Sweet Pea wasn't even old enough to really care when Buttercup was born so I guess we've just always been used to there being 2 of them, LOL. I'm making a mental note to work on that though!
My kids used to love watching Arthur. As soon as I read the title..I sang the song. I guess that makes me a dork too :) Sounds like you had a good time.
Post a Comment
<< Home