Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

The Breast Cancer Site
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Girlfriends, Karate Promises & Soccer Bullies: Catching Up On Our Lives
It's official. Jake has his first girlfriend. Yesterday he told me that he told Madison (whose mother, you may remember, is cooler than me because she's a cop) that she's his girlfriend. He said her eyes got big and her jaw dropped (he didn't say all of this, he showed me with his own face), and then she said that he's her boyfriend. So this morning when he mentioned his friend Molly (whom we haven't seen in awhile because her grandparents have been out of town), he said, "I really like her, but I can't marry her. I'm marrying Madison because she's my girlfriend." Decisions, decisions.

Jake had karate yesterday afternoon. I've started picking him up from school a little early on Tuesdays so that we're not rushed to get to class. This worked well yesterday. We were able to arrive at the gym early, hang out, and talk about our days before he went into class. I'm a much nicer mommy when I'm not rushing...

Last night he showed Ike and me what he's been learning. He got into his guardian stance, did a high block and low block, then did a back punch and a front and side kick. He then stood up straight, raised his right hand in the air and said,

"I will not use violence to solve my problems. I will not use my karate, except in self-defense and if my life is in danger."

He then bowed from the waist.

It Was The Cutest Thing Ever. I'm just hoping that he'll still punch someone in the face if they push him on the playground...

And finally...Jake had a soccer game on Saturday. The game went very well. Jake stayed with the ball the whole time, kicking it when it was near him and almost scoring a goal. He played goalie once and stopped the ball every time it came to the goal. It was a perfect day weather-wise, so we enjoyed sitting on the sidelines with Granny and Papa. Well, we all enjoyed it...except Ike.

Ike has a bully, what should we do?? :) Ike was sitting on our blanket, using Jake's Spiderman umbrella to cover his head (he forgot a hat). He was minding his own business, watching the game, when from out of nowhere (okay, off the field) comes this HUGE KID (okay, a 4-year-old about Jake's size). He was from the other team...and he wanted Ike's umbrella.

He ran up to Ike and said, "Spiderman umbrella! Mine!"
Ike said (looking around for the kid's mom), "No, it's mine." They "mine'd" back and forth a few times, then the kid tried to grab the umbrella. Ike laughed nervously (while the rest of us guffawed behind him), but really, where WAS this kid's mom??

The child then started beating Ike in the head with the umbrella. I am not kidding or making this up. MY HUSBAND WAS BEATEN BY A PRESCHOOLER. But really, what could Ike do? Beat him back? Punch him in the face like we tell Jake? Of course not. This was a kid who SURELY HAD A MOTHER SOMEWHERE.

Eventually, the kid ran back out onto the field. He came back later and tried to take the umbrella again, but his mom finally arrived. By that time Ike was holding onto Spiderman so tightly his knuckles were white, while muttering, "My precious, we won't let the nasty kiddie take my precious."

(Okay, I did make that part up.)


2 Comments:

Blogger GypseeMommy said...

OMG, that is so funny! Poor Ike! Oh, and I better get to see a picture of Jake in his karate stuff asap. I bet its adorable :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My..I was laughing so hard about the kid beating Ike w/the umbrella. It doesn't surprise me that a child like that had an absent parent. The same thing happend w/B's Team. The parents would drop the 3-4 yr. old off and expect the coach to just babysit them. It would make me so mad and of course they were the worst behaving kids of the whole bunch.....anyways!!!

I want to see Jake do some of his Karate too!!

Post a Comment

<< Home