Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

The Breast Cancer Site
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
A Successful Halloween & Our First Day of Hookey
Today is the first day Jake has missed of his school year. Not bad, since we made it to November (okay, it's November 1st...but still November). He had a fever Sunday that became a bad cough and stuffy nose yesterday. He probably could have gone to school today, but I want to keep him home one more day to make sure the fever doesn't return and to let him rest to help get rid of the cough. Fortunately, yesterday was a teacher workday (always a weird thing to call those days...aren't teachers working when the kids are there??), so he's only missing one day.

Like any good mother would, I let Jake go trick-or-treating last night despite his cold. He was just too excited to miss it. Like I told Ike, school comes every day, but Halloween is only once a year. :) Of course, in typical Jake fashion, he told people at several houses, "I have a small fever." Yep, I win Mother Of The Year for that...

He got tons of candy after fewer than 10 stops. I'd say we were only out about 45 minutes, and part of that time was spent trekking to the best house in the neighborhood. The house that pulls out the fog machine, all the decorations, makes apple cider and homemade treats...We've made sure to go there every year for three years. From the looks of it, people seem to drive to our neighborhood just to stop there. I know it's no longer a safe enough world to have everyone make homemade food to give kids at Halloween...but it's nice to know at least one family that does it. This year more people seemed to get into the spirit, with a few (contained) fires and more decorations than ever. Ike says that next year he wants to put more effort into it to get more of the kids onto our street. That'll be good, since I'll probably stay home with the baby to give out candy while Ike and Jake forage the streets. Maybe I can get them to bring me back some cider...

We've now entered Ike's favorite part of the year: the countdown to Thanksgiving. While I got Jake ready for bed last night, Ike called his mom to make sure they agreed on the menu for the Big Day. I prayed aloud that my own son won't be so picky someday... :) I think they left it at Mary Lou sending him a written menu for him to approve. (I hope that was a joke, but Ike takes Thanksgiving very seriously...)

For the record, I'm happy as long as there's too much food on Thanksgiving. I love the overstuffed, sit-on-the-couch-and-don't-move feeling...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home